What It Is
I'm actually a plain jane in real life, so when I walk into MAC it can be quite intimidating for me. Although I love makeup and writing about it and applying it on others, my own repertoire is relatively simple. I mean, I don't even own a mascara. So no wonder I felt very intimidated to talk to one of the girls at MAC for info and advice for this article. She was really helpful and sweet, though, and I went back a couple of times to ask more questions.
Made from animal fibres (mink or fox) or synthetic materials, better quality false lashes tend to be handmade. Bigger makeup brands like Shu Uemera and Makeup Forever devote considerable resources to actually developing various styles of lashes to achieve different effects, but more on that later. The lashes are shaped and woven to a curved band, which you would attach to your natural lashline with an eyelash adhesive.
Types of False Lashes
The full-centre lashes: These make the eyes seem wider, more open, and give a lift to the whole face by drawing the eye centre and upward. These are the most dramatic, in my view.
To take them off, use tweezers and slowly(!) peel off the lashes, use an ear bud with some makeup remover to wipe the glue off them and place them back in their packaging so they retain their shape. You can use them more than once, upto 15 times, if you take care of them well.
- If you are new at this, lay a mirror flat on the table in front of you to help you see what you're doing and apply liquid liner. Allow to dry (again, some people do this step after they finish, I prefer to do it first because if I make a mistake, it's harder to correct with the lashes in).
- Use tweezers to pull the lashes off the plastic and gently bend them with your fingers to soften the curve, place on your lashline to check the length. If they are too long, use scissors to trim the end (bit by bit!) until they fit your eyelid.
- Apply a tiny bit of glue along the band line and wait till it dries and gets tacky, like a sticker. Once the glue is dry, carefully lay the lashes down along the lash line and press to attach.
- Apply mascara (I do this before putting on the lashes, but again, try both ways, since I've read both) and makeup.
- Flutter those babies in his direction and make him melt!